Thursday, July 27, 2006

Sugar Coated

Yes, yes, I know, I know. A rejection is a 'NO' and that's that. But I've gotten so many of them that I've reached the point that a personalized rejection can make my day. Pathetic, I'll grant you, but we're grasping at straws here.

Only a very few queries were mailed two weeks ago, all to agents who might be interested in my Manuscript #5. Not a peep out of anyone since, and I can't tell if it's a bad query, a bad concept, or everyone's off on vacation and not reading their mail. Then today I opened up a rejection from Brandt & Hochman, and I nearly feel on the floor in shock.

Not a form at all, at all. The letter was addressed to me, by name. After a slew of faded photocopies, it's a pleasure to receive real letterhead that was used just for me. Then Mr. Schlessiger let me down gently. He's got so many clients, you see, and he can only consider something that he's sure is right for him. That's agent speak for he's only interested in someone who has a track record that involves lovely commissions for the agent. That's how it is with the heavier hitters, and I don't mind the honesty.

But in closing, he encouraged me to keep querying. Sure, other agents have said as much in their form letters, but it was all the way he phrased it. There was a hint of an apology in between the lines, an implication that the query letter itself was not the worst thing he'd seen in this lifetime. The whole thing was so touching that I've kept it, instead of consigning it to the shredder.

When next I'm clutching at straws, I can pull that one out and pretend that I might have a minute scrap of talent.

No comments: