Monday, July 10, 2006

Downhill Already

Of the four queries that I sent out over the weekend, I've gotten responses from three of them - all no, of course. The other one I suspect is being answered even now. That would be the 'no response is a no' variety of rejection.

After sleeping on the query, I re-wrote it this morning and send another batch of e-mails. Within hours, I had garnered two more form rejections. Is there any hope for the two remaining? I'm not holding out any hope, not after the experiences that I've had over the years.

I'll let the query letter rest a bit more, and then go back to it to see what can be done. It's tough to put together a decent letter, what with all the conflicting advice that's out there. I tried to put in a bit of the plot and came up with two short paragraphs rather than one of medium length, but then again, it could be the opening paragraph lacks a pointy, sharp hook to snag the elusive literary agent.

Add to that the usual summer doldrums coming in, and I'd be better off holding onto the query until after Labor Day. August is vacation time in literary land, and I wonder if many agents do more than clear their desks in July to get ready for the break. In the meantime, I can polish the manuscript and start in on the research for the next WIP that I've had in mind for some time.

Good thing I enjoy writing, or I'd be ready to finish myself off. Ah, that doesn't work either. Look at the doctor in New York today, trying to commit suicide and ends up by blowing up his office building to dust. Survived the whole thing, injured a bunch of people in the process, and he's got more trouble now than he did last night. Might as well keep living, if that's the outcome.

No comments: