Monday, July 03, 2006

Off The List

There goes another submission, crossed off as rejected. The Mississippi Review declined, what with 300 articles to pick from and I didn't make the cut. I was wondering if they would get back to me, since it was an electronic submission, and they did.

I had a feeling it was going to be a no. You see, the accepted short stories are always followed by an author bio, and, since they never contacted me to ask for one, I pretty much figured they had no need. It would not have been very interesting anyway, and certainly not up to the standards of their previous authors. Not a single publishing credential to my name, unlike the sort of author that the Mississippi Review likes to publish.

Once the issue comes out, I'll be reading it from electronic cover to cover, to understand what it was that the editor was looking for and where I went astray. Submission requirements are vague, and if your little flash of inspiration does not click with the editor, then the game's up and it's time to move on.

As for the short story, it's painfully short, as per the guidelines, but I can flesh it out, expand a bit, and find another journal. Before you know it, it will be autumn, and the university-based rags will be accepting submissions once again. Onward and upward! or downward...not sure which direction I'm going in these days.

No comments: