Sunday, July 09, 2006

Round Five

It's surely an addiction, this querying business. I put the finishing touches on Manuscript #5 yesterday, with every intention of putting it away to mellow like fine wine. The next thing I know, there's a query letter typed into the e-mail and I'm hitting the send key. Not once, but three times. What a rush.

This newest manuscript has taken the longest to write, and it's one of the shortest I've ever written. Is it ready to go? I like to think so, but time has a way of changing the old perspective. But after Sandy Lu of Vanguard Literary sent a form rejection, I had to get something else out there, to find a glimmer of interest from a literary agent.

Since Ms. Lu had read the first few pages that I included in the query, I thought that just maybe she might want to read more than the two chapter sample. Wrong again, and it was nothing more than a form rejection that came in the mail, two months after the submission, and right in line with her schedule.

As for the three new queries I shot out on a Saturday, B.J. Robbins was quick on the draw and read my missive within five hours. Then she immediately rejected it. Not enough time to scroll down to the sample pages, it was a no from the first line. My hook was either not sharp enough, or she's looking for more literary pursuits than my satire.

The World Cup final beckons. Time to put away the manuscripts, the queries and the Excel spreadsheets, and enjoy the best of soccer.

Technorati tag: ,

No comments: