Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Recycling

Money must be tight for the JetReid Agency. In lieu of a pre-printed form rejection or a faint photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy of a form rejection, Janet Reid sent back my query letter.

Lovely little note printed on the bottom, declining the submission as it is not a good match, and her poor hand must be cramping up if she has a lot of these to turn down. I didn't mean to waste her time with my query, but I did think that maybe my novel fell within her guidelines. Everyone sees things differently, I suppose, depending on their perspective.

Now, about the sample pages - I do hope she can find some good use for them. Sell them for pulp, perhaps, since it would be rather awkward to use the clean face for correspondence, what with the printing on the obverse. A client could get mightily confused, not sure what they're supposed to be reading with both sides of the page in use.

Fair play to Ms. Reid, however, as she was most prompt in responding. If only she could push some of that organization over to Erin Cartwright at Folio Literary Management. She's had my query, with sample chapter, since the first of May and I've yet to hear back. So much for their one month response time - but then I'm not one to hold my breath waiting for agents to cough up an answer.

No comments: