Monday, April 14, 2008

Too Late, Sorry

"We regret to inform you that your work does not suit our needs at this time."

I'm terribly sorry, but I rejected you first.

Months ago, in fact. I sent an e-mail to your editor, to let that person know that a literary journal had decided to publish the short story, and I had to pull it off your desk.

Did you not pay any attention to the e-mail? Are you ignoring it because it's my rejection of you and you're trying to get your rejection in first?

Too late for your regrets, I regret to inform you. You might not have found a place for the story, but someone else did. It's going to be published. The other editor who liked the work sent me a note to let me know that my copy is on the way soon, and I've been looking for it in the post.

You really should stay on top of your e-mails, especially the ones that reference a manuscript withdrawal. Would have saved you the time of reading the story and someone else could have been rejected in my place.

I did respond promptly when the submission's status changed, just like I said I would. After that, well, it was up to you to read the e-mail.

No comments: