Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Study the Market

Somewhere I ran across a review of Margarettown by Gabrielle Zevin. Must have been memorable, because I can't remember where I found it or what the reviewer said. When I found the book on the shelf at the local library, I picked it up. What better way to study the market than to read something worthy of review?

Before I finished the first fifty pages, I knew what was going on. I only finished the novel to prove myself wrong. Surely no one over the age of sixteen would think this was worth publishing? Then again, I was never a pot head myself, so the circular ponderings of existential thought never captured my sober imagination. I'll stick to a wee drop of the cratur, thank you very much, and ponder the bottom of the glass.

Not to spoil it for anyone, but, Jesus Christ Almighty, 291 pages of some dope-infused deep thoughts that are painfully shallow? 291 pages of silliness that must have been written in AP English? Not the right book to pick up after re-reading Willa Cather and Henry James, I'd say.

I fear it's another case of someone with credentials being taken on because they have credentials. The author is listed as a screenwriter and novelist, so this is not the first time Ms. Zevin has been published. The writing was good but the story was puerile - but take my thoughts with a grain of salt, because I can't tolerate fantasy or science fiction. I'm too hard-bitten to enjoy anything but reality, like the reality of getting a novel published. I'll drink to that.

No comments: