Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Give It To Me Straight

Elisabeth Weed passed on my partial. Full of lovely compliments, she was, but she's not handling much fiction. Problem is, I've heard that same line before, from Melissa Flashman of Trident Media. Has it become the official Trident Media excuse to let the writers off with a gentle hand?

I'm not one to be in need of feeling-sparing. If you don't want it, that's fine. If it's not good enough for Trident's calibre, I can handle it. But I'd rather not hear a break up line that's been passed around the office.

Boilerplate rejections can be frustrating because we all crave some sort of feedback for the effort. In a way, it's worse to be told that one has skill as a writer, but, after asking for a partial on something that was never marketed as anything but fiction, the agent isn't actually looking for fiction. I've been at this long enough to know that she'd take on fiction if I had something to offer that was easy to market, like Harlequin pap, or if I had a string of credentials to hypnotize an editor.

All this querying and rejection is getting boring. If anything, it's a good source of incentive to write something new, so I can start querying all over again. Sooner or later, I'll find someone who wants to listen to my story.

No comments: