Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Not My Job

Putting together the packet for the Rosenberg Group was more than I was expecting. First three chapters and synopsis, okay, got it. Manuscript been shopped yet, can understand the concern. Anyone else reading it, again, I know where she's coming from. But an assessment of the book's market?

My bad for concentrating on financial accounting when I picked up that handy little MBA. The other fault I have is that I am not in the publishing industry, so I sure don't know a thing about the market. Jaysus, if I knew that, why would I need an agent?

Ms. Rosenberg asks about the book's strength within its market. That's easy. The book is well-written. Literary without being pointy-headed obscure. Commercial without being hackneyed. Yet all the advice we ever hear is to not toot one's own horn too loudly. Here's a strength for you - no one is wearing Prada, shopping in New York City or whining about how rough things are. No female protagonist in a love-hate relationship with her mother, now there's a real strong point.

I believe that it is the agent's job to categorize the manuscript, to get it in the hands of the appropriate editors. I don't have the knowledge to do that for her. If the writing grabs the agent, I guess she'll offer representation. If not, all the market analysis in the world won't help me get published.

No comments: