Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Memo to Bill Ford

Recently, Bill Ford called for suggestions to improve sales at Ford Motor Company. Although some analysts question the concept of ‘Buy American’, I for one would recommend that this be used as a selling point. I do want to spend my money where it will benefit my neighbors. Better that the profits are stuffed into the pockets of executives who live in this country and pay other Americans to cut their hair or mow their lawn, than send our money overseas to enrich some other nation. Are you with me so far, Bill?

The location of the factory is not enough, however. Let me put it this way. I do not care if Hugo Chavez personally drives up to my house in a Citgo truck, every morning, and fills my tank with gas. For free. And checks the oil. And washes the windows. And brings coffee and donuts for the family. What I would like, Bill, is a car that uses little or no gas. Think hybrids, like the ones that Japan has been producing while Ford was busy making SUV’s with high profit margins. Anything going on with hydrogen cell-powered cars? Henry Ford gave us the cheap vehicle that revolutionized our way of life. Can you take a page from his book, Bill, and revolutionize the way we power our vehicles?

What do you say, Bill? How about a little innovation? People want to cut back on fuel consumption to reduce greenhouse gases. Others want to stick it to the whack-jobs that control the foreign oil fields. Doesn’t that just about cover every driver in America, Bill? Give the consumer what they want. That’s all it takes to sell more cars and make a profit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BY ACCIDENT FOUND YOUR WEBSITE AND AM I GLAD DID!!
WITH ONLY 2 REJECTIONS TO MY NAME I AM LOATH TO TRY MORE.
HOWEVER, READING YOUR "DIARY" I FIND I HAVE NOT BEEN TENACIOUS AS YOU HAVE AND WILL GIVE IT A GO AGAIN. I FIND IT UNPROFESSIONAL TO STATE THE TERMS OF SUBMISSION AND THEN NOT HAVE THEM FOLLOWED BY VARIOUS AGENCIES. THIS DOES NOT BODE WELL FOR THEM. I WOULD WONDER HOW THEY WOULD HANDLE MY BOOKS IF THEY ARE UNABLE TO CONFORMTO THEIR OWN GUIDELINES.
PLEASE DO LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE FARING.

O hAnnrachainn said...

Read everything in your genre that you can get your hands on, learn all you can, and keep improving your craft.

And don't give up. Sure and didn't Ireland keep at it for 800 years, and there's some still at it ninety years later.