Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Second Time Around

Out of curiosity, or maybe spite, I sent queries on Manuscript #2 to some agents who have partials since last year on Manuscript #1. Not surprising, Julia Lord not only failed to get back to me on the partial manuscript she's had since last March, she does not reply to queries via e- or snail-mail. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, I'd guess that she's just too busy - or her assistant quit and she doesn't even know what's piled up in the office.

Susan Golomb has had a partial since May, and again, no response. I sent her a snail-mail query at the end of January and got a rejection today. Well, she's alive, or her assistant is still breathing. Not a word about the three sample chapters I sent nearly a year ago, but the rejection was addressed to me so someone is working in her office, cutting and pasting and stuffing SASE's. The onerous task of writing up a rejection must be beyond the reach of said assistant, and so I will never know why. I do know, however, that the answer is obviously no.

Sally Wofford-Girand at Brickhouse Lit is another no responder. I was originally contacted by her assistant, Kate McKean, who is now an agent at Dystel & Goderich, so I guess that's a full manuscript down the drain. Sally doesn't respond to my queries, and that's the end of that. Another agent off the list, and she's got to be glad of that.

Getting back to writing, focusing on short stories, I've found some relief from the query fever. If only I had the time to write. Tomorrow is, after all, another day.

No comments: