Monday, February 27, 2006

Log Book

Another Monday, another day of silence in the mailbox. There are four queries outstanding since 1/30, three outstanding since 2/14, and another four that I sent on 2/23 that have garnered no notice.

A query sent to Kathleen Anderson on 12/2 has not been answered, and after three months, I guess it's time to write it off. Mitchell Waters (Curtis Brown) and Michelle Wolfson (Ralph Vicinanza) have had queries since 1/2, and two months is more than enough time to send the SASE back. Maybe they're waiting on a new intern to stuff the stack of envelopes for the rejects. If there was interest, the agent would have e-mailed by now.

Is Christina Hogrebe still with Jane Rotrosen's agency? She's had a partial for three months and still no word. Oh, of course, it's being shown around the agency because she wants to request the full and has to sell her superiors on the quality of the writing and the freshness of the voice. Paula Balzer at Sarah Lazin Books must be doing the same with the partial manuscript I sent her at the end of November.

Time to wake up, dreamer. All five of those e-mail queries that were sent last Wednesday have not garnered a response yet, and that doesn't mean that the literary agent is eager to request more. For the first time, I sent the sample chapter as an attachment, which I believe was okay as per the website instructions. Then again, maybe Michael Adelman deleted the thing unread because it had - gasp - an attachment. Did I misinterpret the submission requirements? Will I ever know? No.

Not to get all existentialist, but I'm beginning to wonder if I do, indeed, exist. No one answers my query letters. Am I sending them? Or do I imagine sending them? Are literary agents a figment of my imagination?

Addendum: Michelle Wolfson was kind enough to post a comment on a later entry - she was between agencies when I queried her. For the record, she is with Artists and Artisans, and she did respond to my e-query - a quick rejection. Probably not right for her list.