Monday, February 06, 2006

Another Fix

Can't stay away, no matter how hard I try. A new agent at Andrea Brown's agency appeared on Agentquery.com this morning, and I gave in to the urge to query. God help me, but I couldn't resist.

Kristin Nelson has a blurb on her blog about the death of "chick-lit", which implies that the more annoying parts of the genre have gone on to their reward, leaving the reader hungry for more substance. My manuscript fits the bill, don't you know, with its heroine not sleeping around and chasing men. Ah no, she is the prey. If all the young ladies were blackbirds and thrushes, all the young men would go beating the bushes.

So, I query and get a request for the first three chapters - and I can file electronically - all in the same day. The requested material is off in cyberspace, and now I wait again. Somehow, sending a manuscript as a Word file does not carry the same level of anxiety as a ream of paper tumbling through the post office sorting machines. Not having spent any money on the process, I don't feel that anything will come of it - more like an agent browsing to see what slush is out there.

A note to my loyal readers (yes, both of you) - Pierce Turner is officially releasing his newest album, The Boy To Be With, and kicking things off with a show at Joe's Pub in New York City on Saturday, 28 Jan. 2006. Always a good time, if you're in New York.

No comments: