Thursday, May 04, 2006

What Are the Odds?

Miss Snark brings up an interesting statistic for anyone with queries out there. What are the chances that an agent might ask for more material from your humble proposition?

From literary agent Andrew Zack comes this quote:
During the month of November, we received 107 query letters and declined fifty-nine. We received twenty-five requested sample chapters and declined twenty-six. We requested six more. We also received one requested proposal and asked to see three more. We received one manuscript that we’d requested. During the month of November, we offered representation to one author.

Mighty slim, isn't it? 2% of the letters lead to a request for more.So let's say an agent gets 100 per week, that's two requests for more. In raw numbers, there's Mr. Zack's data of 107 queries leading to only six requests for more. Therefore, in any given week, the odds are astronomically tilted towards rejection, and it's not much better after leaping the initial hurdle to catch an agent's eye. See the last line in the above quote? Yep, that number is one. One manuscript good enough to offer representation.

So I should be proud of myself, getting requests for partials from time to time. The fact that an agent has asked for a full straight off should be a cause for some back-patting. Twice I sent more material after an initial review, a good thing again.

Guess what? Not one agent has ever offered representation. All those other positive notes are only stepping stones on the rocky road to publishing, and I've fallen in the drink on every attempt. Not enough steps to get over, you see, so who gives a rat's arse about the partial requests? I'll be happy when an agent offers to take me on and sells my manuscript. Until then, the odds are so stacked against me that I'm proving myself a right idiot to keep at it. God suffers fools gladly, though. I've got that going for me.

No comments: