Monday, April 10, 2006

Not Getting It

Maybe I'm missing something, but when an agency website says they will respond within a certain period of time, doesn't that indicate that they will respond?

I tried Julie Culver at Folio Lit, and the website stated that the agent should reply within a month. Failing that, the applicant was to assume the e-query was lost in cyberspace and it should be resubmitted. Just following orders, sir, and I sent the query six weeks ago and again last week. Why do I not expect to get any sort of response?

Don't know what possessed me, but I submitted another query to Randi Murray, using her online application form. Again, the site says that the agent will respond in a few days. Well, it's been more than a few days, and there hasn't been any response.

There are plenty of agents who accept e-queries these days, and most of them are pretty specific about not responding if they are not interested. Fine, I know where I stand if I don't hear back. Yes, that's it exactly. They get the snail mail query. One never knows, without a response, so play it safe and follow up with a SASE that lets you know for sure.

If an agent states on their website that they will respond in a certain amount of time, I expect a response. If they only respond if interested, then say so,for feck's sake. Adding a few words into a website can't be that impossible, can it? In the meantime, I'll keep dropping those queries in the local post box, three here, five there. I like getting mail. Those returning SASE's have such lovely, colorful stamps. And they usually come on Monday and Tuesday, the days of rejection.

No comments: