Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Back to Work

Looks like the publishing/agent world is back up and running after the Christmas break. Today in the mail I got two rejections from queries sent before the holidays - form rejections, natch. The one from Anne Edelstein's agency was the fastest turnaround time ever from her office, which makes me wonder if anyone even read the sample pages.

Even though I reworked the opening of MANUSCRIPT, her assistant was not swept away in rapture if she did read it. Such is the query world.

Four e-mail queries came back rejected as well, with one from Alexis Hurley at InkWell sent back in October. Well, at least she responded, which is more than I've gotten from some other people at InkWell.

Frustrating, infuriating, but there is a rush to sending out the queries. I sometimes feel like a gambler, dropping coins into the slot machine and hoping for a jackpot, only to lose again. Yet I send out more, going back to the list and re-querying those who were queried two years ago. Different letter, different title. Better luck next time.

No comments: