Thursday, January 12, 2006

No Reply

This morning, I went through my list of outstanding query letters, snail mail each and every one. A sizeable number of unanswered letters had been sent in early to mid-November, now two months gone, and way past due for a reply.

Given the long Christmas holiday, I am beginning to believe that literary agents come back from the break and toss all those annoying queries, dumped into the trash and never answered. It seems odd that so many letters, all sent around the same time, would all fail to garner so much as a form rejection. Odd, unless most of the agencies in New York pulped whatever was laying around before they left for the holiday hiatus.

Of course, now that postage is an extra .02, could it be that they don't want to cover the difference? Then again, when I sent the queries, I was aware of the postal rate increase and slapped on an extra couple of stamps. Ah, that's it, then. They needed my return postage to cover their lack of penny stamps. I can see them now, those crafty literary agents, steaming the Navajo Jewelry commemorative off SASE's, saving themselves a trip to the Post Office.

Who knows, maybe one day my mailman will drop off a note that I owe some two bucks for a bunch of mail with insufficient postage. It could happen. And pigs might fly. And I might get published.

No comments: