Friday, January 20, 2006

I'm Mister Lonely

I haven't had a request for a partial since the beginning of last month, and I'm feeling lonely...

Things feel quiet in general. No answers back, no requests for more, like I'm the last author left on earth and no literary agents survived the holocaust. I've sent out a couple of e-queries and generated absolutely no interest. Could it be that everyone is busy catching up after the holidays? Should I wait a week or so?

Today, I fired off a 600 word essay to the local paper. The object of the game these days is to get a publishing credit. There's a short story, couple thousand words, that I've been working on and I do believe I'll send it to McSweeney's. Once I get this other new story formed, I'll work on another submission for a literary rag.

Found a good link through the Nebraska Writers Project - a list of literary magazines! Publish something, somewhere, and then try the queries again. I do wonder if my chances will improve if my closing paragraph can include the magic phrase: 'I have been published in ....'

No comments: