Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Moving On Over

Were they cleaning the office because they were closed for the holidays, or was it the result of moving out?

Joanne Brownstein of Brandt & Hochman responded to a query that I mailed last May. And she's sorry it took so long, but I'm not surprised that a stack of queries could get lost in a literary agent's office.

I'd assumed it was lost in the mail and had already checked it off as a rejection. Having my suspicions confirmed wasn't important, but Ms. Brownstein took the time to reply just the same, via e-mail.

Now, was it a form rejection?

Beyond a mention of the office cleaning and the discovery, her rejection letter was boilerplate, but there's always something for an author to pin a hope on.

Thanks for the query, good luck, and here's our new contact info.

So there you are. The writing couldn't have been too pathetic, or she'd not invite me to query her again, in her subtle manner. We're off to Kansas City, Missouri, and here's where to mail the queries in future, she implied.

Where? you're asking yourself. To 909 Walnut Street, Suite 1207, Kansas City, MO 64106.

And I'm asking myself, why would a literary agency move to Kansas City, Missouri? Is someone retiring from the business? Needing to take care of elderly relatives? Is it worth it to submit to Brandt & Hochman?

Won't know unless I try.

No comments: