Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Importance Of Sample Size

The query wasn't working, since there were no requests after a couple of weeks went by. If an agent is going to ask for a sample of the manuscript, they'll do it quickly, and take their time with the rejecting.

After tossing the words around in my head, I decided to do a bit of rearranging. The opening of the second paragraph become the beginning of the letter, and the main conflict got a thorough overhaul. A day to settle, and then it was ready for sending.

Only three letters were sent out on a Friday, but there's only so many minutes in a day that are free for writing and submitting. Each agent needs their little personalization, that ending where you drop one of their author's names to show that you've done a bit of research.

Saturday morning, and there was a rejection from Stephany Evans of FinePrint Literary Management. Prompt, to be sure, but I could have waited until Monday. No need to be working on a Saturday. Even the Postal Service is looking to drop Saturday work.

Sunday evening, a second rejection appeared. Laney Katz Becker was getting an early start on the work week, but again, I could have waited for Monday. There's no rush.

What was I to think but that the new query was as ineffective as the one it replaced? Two out of three rejections, and within days. Not a good sign.

Monday morning, expecting another rejection, I opened the e-mail and found a request for the complete manuscript.

Monday afternoon, I sent out two more queries, hoping to be riding a winning streak.

Tuesday morning, there was a request for a partial manuscript.

Like any gambler, I know my luck will run out so I've decided to stop querying while I'm ahead. Until the itch strikes, which I know it will, and I'll be back at it. For now, I can relax, knowing that my query writing ability hasn't gotten lost, as I thought it had.

After a minute of relaxing, I can obsess over the odds of my manuscript submissions getting rejected. It's a good life.

2 comments:

Fran Caldwell said...

I'm starting the query exercise in earnest next week. I do have 20 pages with one agent, but it's the only one, so far.

I do admire your calm, relaxed approach to the query business. I hope I can do as well.

Don't you drink coffee?

O hAnnrachainn said...

It's my fondness for Irish coffee, often without the coffee, a wee drop of liquid Prozac for the good that's in it.

After a few years of querying, submitting, editing and starting over again, I'm hardened to the process. There's nothing to get excited about as it's only a business and not personal.