Friday, October 05, 2007

The Value Of A Website

Some agents might advise you, the budding author, to get yourself a website.

It is, of course, all to the good to own your domain name before it's needed for contact with the legions of fans who will want to know more about you and what you're doing. Well before that time, however, should a literary agent find your query intriguing, that agent will Google your name and you'd want something to come up, wouldn't you?

I have found that a website can save money on postage and printing as well. With some writing samples readily available for literary agents to peruse, they not only find something about me on the Internet, but they can read my writing and make decisions on whether to ask for pages.

After perusing my website content, a literary agent was able to send me a rejection straight away, rather than wasting everyone's time with sample chapters. She took a look, liked the writing but didn't fall in love as they say. For the cost of my very own site (around $100/year), I have already saved $4.95, the cost of postage for the first three chapters.

Brilliant bit of economy, however false it has proven to be.

No comments: