Tuesday, November 21, 2006

False Hope

A new e-mail! Look, there, the icon shows one unread message, and it's in the mailbox of the account used for snail mail query responses. Amy Williams, of McCormick Williams, is sending an e-mail. To me.

When did I mail the query? The sixth of the month, a couple of weeks ago. Not as quick a response as I would have expected, based on past experience, but agents are busy people. Click on the box, open the letter, and ..... sorry, what?

"Thank you for sending me your letter of November 6, 2006." she says. You're most welcome. As for the query letter? "...not right for me, but I’m grateful for the chance and wish you luck with it."

But what about the SASE I included? Could you not follow standard protocol and mail the rejection? Even a "NO" stamped on my original letter and stuffed back in the envelope would be fine. The e-mail response is for acceptance only. You want more material, a few sample chapters, that sort of thing; there's where you send the e-mail. Rejections are via snail mail only, a piece of paper to be shredded at the first opportunity.

Dreadful, should this style of rejection take hold. The joy of the Outlook Express ping will be no more.

No comments: