Saturday, October 28, 2006

Downhill

For all the critiquing and studying that I've done to improve my writing, I think I've made things worse. Worse by becoming average, by writing like all the rest.

After sending off a batch of queries last Friday, I've gotten rejections back by the armload, but the worst rejections came from queries that included a sample chapter. Granted, the query letter might not be brilliant, but I'd expect that an agent who asks for samples of the writing will look at them in spite of a weak query.

That means that Ned Leavitt and Jill Kneerim were not hooked at all by the query or the first pages. Not even intrigued enough to put them aside for a second look. Within eight days of mailing out the material I've received a definite no. There was nothing in the packet that drew more than the most cursory of glances, followed by a speedy rejection.

Eight days is the fastest I've ever been turned down with sample pages. Maybe I've made a mistake in trying to follow Noah Lukeman's advice. Perhaps I'm better off to not go through critique sessions and just follow my gut, reading other novels like mad to see how it's done rather than being instructed on how to do it. I fear that I'm becoming a mundane, run of the mill writer, adequate but not standing out from the crowd.

Time to put all manuscripts aside and go back to reading. Somewhere along the line, I hope to find my voice again.

No comments: