Tuesday, August 22, 2006

From the Old Post Road

Hello,
Thank for you for submitting your work to Post Road. Although we
appreciate the opportunity to look at your work, unfortunately it does not
meet our current needs. Best of luck finding a place for it. Keep writing!
Post Road

The standard rejection letter, sent via the Internet - and it's a no from Post Road. They accept submissions as a download, which saves on postage, and I expect that they are inundated with submissions.

I gave it a go, twice. They responded within a month, which is incredibly fast in the literary world. Unfortunately, both times were negative replies. Will I send anything to them in the future? Perhaps. I thought my fiction was in line with what they published, but my opinion is quite clouded by my desire to get published somewhere. Anywhere.

Meanwhile, I still wait on the Indiana Review, now over a month beyond their stated time frame. As for the rest of the submissions, with a couple approaching six months, I may have discovered a couple of non-responders in the literary journal field. The most recently sent pieces may sit until October, which sounds like a long way off, but it isn't. Funny how I've come to measure my life in segments of time. Waiting for Wednesday and Thursday to roll around in the event of a query being accepted. Waiting for Labor Day to appear and the literary agents to come back. Waiting three months here, five months there. It all adds up to years, but broken up into bits, it sneaks past my notice.

No comments: