Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Not Working As Planned

There's a new agent at Caren Johnson's literary agency and she's looking for new clients.

My manuscript, however, is not what she's looking for.

Not my manuscript, exactly. It's the query letter that didn't convince Katie Shea to read my story.

She wants sassy commercial fiction and I have reason to believe that I've got myself a sassy protagonist. The query letter, apparently, isn't selling that important aspect.

The same can be said for Katelynn Lacopo, new to BookEnds LLC. She's actively building a list but it's only a guess on my part that she might have been interested in my manuscript. She's so new that there's nothing listed on the website regarding her particular interests.

I can now safely state that her interests do not include whatever she might have gathered from my query letter.

There's a touch of humor in the book but it's not coming through in the submission letter. I can pin my hopes on the letters I sent that included sample pages, but what are the chances that an agent would read the pages if the query isn't strong?

The letter that I polished and revised during the holidays isn't doing the job. With a manuscript revision in progress, my head filled with different characters and situations, I believe I'll let the query letter rest until there's a lull in the ongoing writing project. Maybe then I'll have some fresh ideas or an improved perspective.

No comments: