Monday, January 03, 2011

Begin Again

I sent out a few query letters on the 18th of December. Plenty of time before Christmas to respond, but there's been no response.

Time to re-tool. Again.

I've been at the query business so long that I don't query in an organized fashion anymore. It didn't work then, so why put in the time? Five or six at a time, I'll pick agents using the filters at AgentQuery.com. Sometimes I'll go to the end of the list and start there. Other times I'll jump to the middle.

The one aspect that does remain the same is the ten failure cut-off. If there's no positive response after ten agents have seen the letter, it's time to change the letter. Again.

While I wait to hear, or not hear, back, I'll work on yet another manuscript that requires a great deal of research. Once that's done, it'll be the editing and revising again. The query letter. Again.

And I'll be working on an old manuscript, to get it ready for publishing by a tiny, wee publisher that pays no advance nor can offer promotion. But at least a good story won't continue to gather dust.

No comments: