Monday, March 16, 2009

Not Now, Not A Year From Now

There's a question that pops up every now and then in writers' forums. If an agent has turned you down, can you ask again?

The rule of thumb holds that you usually can, if you wait a good long time. You'll have a fresh and more effective query by then, something that might hook the agent's interest when you failed on the first try.

If you're sending a query to kt literary, though, you'd better remember to change your title and the names of your characters while you're at it.

The manuscript went through a total overhaul and it's not the same opening as I had last year when I sent Kate Schafer a query. The letter is radically different as well, but I forgot to change the title.

My fault for not making all the necessary adjustments. My new query and revised manuscript were rejected with a form rejection that referenced the first rejection from last year.

So the answer is still no. Next time I'll make sure I do it right before I hit the send key.

No comments: