Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Apparently We Don't Share A Sense of Humor

What Dan Lazar finds funny isn't what I think is witty.

If we shared the same sense of humor, he wouldn't have rejected my recent query.

He's looking for novels that make him laugh out loud, and my first pages are enough to garner a serious snicker, at a minimum. But maybe my words are too Midwestern, not clever enough. Or maybe my humor is too dry, not to everyone's taste.
"We’re afraid your project does not seem right for our list, but thank you for thinking of Dan, and best of luck in your search for representation."

So says Mr. Lazar's assistant, Stephen Barr, who also doesn't share my idea of what constitutes funny.

Back to the agent search, then, to find literary representation that I can share a laugh with. There must be someone out there, isn't there?

1 comment:

Chrystal Rose said...

I had a pretty similar experience...

He said he was "really into memoirs" at the moment. Clearly not mine, haha.

http://chrystalrose.wordpress.com/category/agent-query/