Sunday, March 04, 2007

Glimmer and Shine

No Glimmer Train for me on this round of free submissions. The short story was rejected, and in a timely manner. Nine weeks of waiting, but there's still another one out there.

Yes, it's true, Glimmer Train requires exclusive submissions, but it's also true that the odds of getting picked are so small as to be nearly microscopic. Four weeks after I sent in a short story, I sent the same story to another journal. It's a game, isn't it, and I'm modifying the rules to suit my needs. The chances of being published are slight, so I'm casting as wide a net as I can to get something in print. Now that Glimmer Train has passed, I'll find a few more journals and submit the same story to them. Like kiting a check, it's all in the timing, and it helps to balance the submissions between exclusive and multiple styles.

Can't be all doom and gloom after the rejection, not when Rod Stewart was performing on the very evening after I got the sad news from Glimmer Train. Nothing like a brilliant showman, singing from a vast song list for two full hours, to lift the spirits and make the struggling writer forget their troubles for a time.

Off to compile a list of lucky recipients of my short story, and maybe look at the outstanding submissions and decide which of the stories should be sent out to others. It's all about getting published somewhere, to get the foot in the door. Rejected, yes, but still I'd look to find a reason to believe.

No comments: