Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Raise and Lower Hopes

I sent a batch of queries out on the 28th of November, just to have something to do with the box of envelopes that was sitting on the shelf, dropping dust bunnies on my head by way of mockery.

What do I find in the e-mail box today but a response to a snail-mail query from Molly Friedrich? So soon...so e-mail hasty must notify at once. Not quite as expected.
Although your book sounds both intelligent and intriguing, I'm afraid I won't be able to pursue it further with you. I'm sorry that I'm forced to be so painfully discriminating, but I'm taking on close to nothing right now. I only seem to bend when something truly inspires me, and honestly, I find that I may just be tapped out.

Such lovely words that say no thank you. But this new trend of sending denials via e-mail when there was a snail mail envelope provided? It's disconcerting after you've been trained to expect a request for more when an e-mail follows hot on the heels of a snailed query.

A quick response is one thing, but to disrupt the natural order of things is creating turmoil in my brain. I'll have to send another batch of queries out today to clear my head.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My very first rejection was via email, even though I had included a SASE. I think that rule is no longer in use.

O hAnnrachainn said...

I guess I wouldn't mind so much if the agent said they wouldn't need a SASE, like Lisa Erbach Vance of Aaron Priest's agency. Actually, since e-mail rejections are easily deleted, my shredder has less wear and tear, so it will last longer.

Anonymous said...

I got the same e-mail (word for word)from Molly yesterday also. My SASE was ignored as well. It was a nice rejection for a form letter, wasn't it?

I continue to watch your agent search with interest. My agent and I parted ways in November and I'm doing it all over again. I must be crazy.

O hAnnrachainn said...

We're all a bit mad, aren't we? All the same, we must be having a grand time or we'd have quit long ago. Or we're too insane to realize we should have quit.