Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tailored to Fit

I've got to stop this querying process - I've made a mess, I believe.

According to Kristin Nelson's blog, she is still looking for new clients. In the archives at her site are some sample successful queries, so I modified my letter to fit what she seems to look for in a letter.

Four days letter, it's a form rejection. Was it the query? Or was it the story? Too edgy? Not explained well enough? Not the sort of plot she's looking for? Who knows?

Pam Strickler is open for submissions once again, but I guess not interested in my manuscript. Following her policy, I pasted the opening pages into the e-mail, but the rejection was just boilerplate standard. So, was it the writing? Was she not taken with the first five pages, or was the story not quite what she is looking for? Granted, it's not a standard romance novel ready for sale to Kensington or Harlequin, but is that what she wants or is my manuscript no good?

Time to focus on the WIP and put the query letter aside. Trying to follow all the advice that's out there, I think I've got a muddle that will need to be re-worked after a brief spell to recover my senses. And there's the fourteen short story submissions to wait on. I've plenty of stress to keep my mind frazzled.

No comments: