Wednesday, September 27, 2006

And Baby Makes...

Carefully crafted the query letter, so I did, and then double checked spelling and grammar in the first chapter. Copied and pasted the lot of it into an e-mail, and then I checked it all again.

Verify the agent's name, check. Verify file attachment, check. Say a prayer...Who is the patron saint of writers, anyway? And then it's time to hit the send button and hope for the best.

Sorry to report that Stacy Glick of Dystel and Goderich is heading off on maternity leave. She sent a form rejection of my query, so I don't put much stock in the line about the project being intriguing. All the same, it's one less agent at the firm to query, and I presume that the others are going to pick up the slack while Mrs. Glick is out of commission. Not that I'd let something like that deter me from querying someone else there, of course.

There's plenty of other agents to pester, and there's plenty of writing to be done. All the best to the little chiseler just the same, and here's hoping that the thought of sending the wee babe off to college one day will drive Mrs. Glick back into agenting with renewed passion and an intense desire to sign on more new writers. I'm a prolific one, I swear to you, cranking out a novel a year and the occasional short story. A real money-maker, if you get my drift.

No comments: