Friday, December 09, 2005

Sunny Day


Agent Query
is one of the best sources around to find an agent. Every day, I check the home page to see what's new in the literary agent world, always looking for another victim to torment with a query. In the past, I've noted the new arrivals and put the names away for a time, certain that the agent would be swamped with queries off the bat and reject mine due to lack of time.

Today, after printing out the three chapter sample that Christine at Jane Rotrosen Agency requested, I took a chance and shot an e-mail query to Tamar Ellman, freshly arrived at Laura Dail Literary Agency. Nothing to lose, no pain no gain, and all that, and in less than three hours she asked for a fifty page sample. Well, I was going to the post office anyway, and my word but it's bright and sunshiny after that foot of snow we got yesterday.

My heart tells me that I've found a good query after seven attempts with limited success. My head tells me that I've managed to get a decent query in front of the right person at the right time. Hot shot, big time agents are not gunning for new talent. They have enough to handle. To break in, I believe that an aspiring novelist can be just as successful with a rookie in a big time (or even medium-time) agency. Someone just starting out is more energetic and hungrier than the old-timers, and should be working that much harder to put together their own stable of talent.

As long as they don't send the rejections in time for Christmas, I'll bask in the bright sunshine for as long as it lasts.

No comments: