Monday, February 12, 2007

Unexpected Information

I googled "sock yarn" because I was trying to find a good source for Lorna's Laces, a hand painted yarn that knits up into some wildly colorful socks. You see, when I'm in a bind and can't come up with the next sentence or the paragraph that ties point A to point B, I like to knit socks. It's fairly mindless, knitting in the round, row after row until the heel gets turned, and even that's a simple mathematical construct.

How shocked was I to find a link to Making Light, Teresa Nielsen Hayden's blog that normally covers all things publishing. She edits books, sci-fi, for Tor books, and I'd consider her to be quite knowledgeable in her field. But knitting?

Read the post if you're interested in the problems that a female-owned yarn co-op had when they started up a sock knitting club and the bank thought they were setting up a scam. Generated a big heap of outrage in the knitting world, all those twenty- and thirty-somethings who have hopped onto the latest trend and become addicted to the craft.

Anyway, for now I'm out of yarn but my head is full of words that need to be set down on paper before they get lost on the way out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Knitting" used to be one of the subjects listed in ML's subtitle. On the main page it's been replaced by a quote from Mike Ford, but you can still see the original subtitle on the comment page headers.

Untangling a skein and untangling a text problem feel very similar to me.

TNH