Monday, February 12, 2007

Coming Soon

Let's look at the newest list of debut fiction, shall we?

First up, we can expect Sam Michel's first novel. Yes, he has already been published, a collection of short stories. What else, you ask, as you prepare to write a collection of short stories so that you, too, can be a published author. He's taught creative writing, making good use of his MFA. Let's skip him and move on to someone we might have a better chance of emulating.

A novel from a former New York Post columnist, I see. And it's a book about the Hamptons, written by someone who has undoubtedly spent time in the Hamptons, and witnessed all the hot tub hookups, hangovers, etc., etc. And who gives a flying fuck about the Hamptons when you're not living in NYC? Moving along...

I see that Jennie Nash has a novel in the pipeline. She wrote a book about her travails with breast cancer. Technically, her novel is her debut in the fiction world, but realistically, she is already a published author with a big, fat publishing cred. Next?

There's a guy who's a member of a creative writing troupe that teaches creative writing classes, and now he's getting a novel published. There's a woman who pens inspirational columns and she's got an inspirational novel coming out, published by a Christian-leaning press.

I'd say it's hopeless for the unpublished. I have twenty short story submissions out there, and I'm going to get me a publishing credit one way or another. And when I have enough for a collection, I'll be right behind Sam Michel in the debut novel queue.

No comments: