Saturday, April 20, 2013

How To Instill Hatred Of Science Fiction

Disclaimer: I do not like science fiction. I tried it when I graduated to chapter books as a child, but I don't like it. I studied science at university anyway.

I just don't care for science fiction or fantasy. It's a personal preference. I have nothing against scientists.

Just because I'm a fan of Plan 9 From Outer Space doesn't mean I could be induced to enjoy reading science fiction.

Perhaps if I had been forced to read books about space travel and aliens and dystopian futures I'd be devouring sci-fi as we speak?

There is no better way to turn children against a body of literature than to force them to read it, but West Virginia representative Ray Canterbury (no relation to Ray Bradbury) plans to make it a matter of law that schoolchildren read science fiction.

He is obviously a fan of this much maligned genre, which is a niche market associated with geeks. As such, the cool kids won't touch it and those on the fringes are afraid to be seen with Robert Heinlein tumbling out of their backpacks lest they be labeled.

Sci-fi is not as popular as mysteries or romance, and if you're a writer seeking a literary agent who reps it, you'll find a small population to approach.

For some reason, Mr. Canterbury believes that if malleable minds had to read Dune or The Man In The High Castle, they'd grow up to be scientists and mathmeticians.

He's not a teacher, or he'd know that you can only introduce the subject, not make it mandatory, or it takes on a certain cachet. Required reading is not much beloved. When was the last time you read Beowulf or the Canterbury Tales (in Middle English)?

As you'd expect, sci-fi writers are all in favor of the new curriculum guidelines. They'd like to expand their audience, as would any other business person with a product to sell that doesn't sell itself.

Do you think that the law could work, and increase interest in the sciences through fiction?

Watch this and then decide if you're feeling a hankering to study astronomy....




No comments: