Thursday, October 11, 2012

Another Book For The To-Be-Read Pile

Mo Yan has won the Nobel prize for literature.

As usual, he's an author I've never heard of. I've never read one of his books. I'm not at all familiar with his body of work, even though Red Sorghum was made into a movie starring Gong Li. I've heard of her, at least.

According to Peter Englund of the award committee, once you read a few pages of Mo Yan, you know it's Mo Yan. The writing style is that distinctive.

The author is also noted for his prose, which combines fantasy and reality. Sounds like one of those Chinese martial arts movies, doesn't it? Bodies flying through the air in slow motion, utter fantasy, and then the fighting starts and it's a combination of fantasy and reality. Mostly fantasy.

So judging by the description from Mr. Englund, Mo Yan puts into words what you've already seen if you've watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

There are elements of Chinese mythology mingled with the modern era, but seeing as Mo Yan lives and works in China, you'd expect him to depart from reality when depicting that modern era. If he hadn't, he wouldn't still be writing outside of a prison cell.

I am intrigued. If I can get my hands on a copy of Red Sorghum in any format, I'll give it a try.

It's not entirely due to the fact that the author won the Nobel. Gong Li has a lot to do with it.

Anyone have a DVD of Raise the Red Lantern or Curse of the Golden Flower I can borrow? Oh, and Mo Yan's book as well, a copy to spare? I did say I was going to read it before I was distracted.

No comments: