Saturday, August 27, 2011

We'll Always Have Paris

A few years back, my uncle died peacefully after dealing with a weak heart for most of his life. He left his estate to his siblings, with a directive that they then distribute equal shares among their children.

The money I inherited has been sitting in a bank account, earning next to no interest.

We've always wanted to see Paris. What are we waiting for?

I'm about to book a hotel. If I can swallow down the bile that rises up in my throat when I think of spending E200 per night just to have a place to sleep.

It will only be four days, because that's all we can afford....or should I say, it's all my late uncle could afford for us.

We'll see as much as we can, eat as well as we're able, and store up the memories. Perhaps before one of us grows senile, we will find ourselves reminiscing about the life we had. Remember the fireworks on New Year's Eve, I will say to nudge my own faulty mind. How the Champs de Mars dazzled. How splendid the Eiffel Tower, glittering at midnight. 

The cost is killing me, but the fact that most of the places I've looked into are already sold out tells me that there are countless others in our same situation. Money isn't growing if you save it, and it only makes the mattress lumpy if you stuff it in there.

In a way, we're putting it to work. If there comes a time when we can't afford our medicines, we can look into each other's eyes and remember that we had Paris.

No comments: