Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Teaching An Old Dog

I'll admit I'm not so enamored of the latest technological gadgets that I run to buy the newest toy.

Family finances play into my sacrifice. If I could afford it, I'd have an iPad to play with.

The old computer is getting on in years and it's time to consider a replacement, before the hard drive gives up the ghost in the middle of the busy season and there I am with my thumb up my ass.

What has my heart beating is the anticipation of updated software that will force me to adapt to a revised program that will be much like the earlier version, only a bit different. My purchase of a netbook has given me a taste of what's to come.

Word 2003 may or may not be the best version ever, but it's the one I'm used to. The netbook is running Word 2010 and for feck's sake I don't have time to get re-oriented to new toolbars and icons and more bells and whistles.

I can stumble along on my own, or I can sit down with this handy tutorial, eating into valuable writing time but, it is hoped, saving time in the long run.

Sadly, there is more time available than I care to admit. With the jump in oil prices, there's been a decline in work around here and when I head back to the States after Easter, I don't expect an uptick at that end either. Time to become proficient at Word 2010, I suppose, and maybe it's time to expand the business into the secretarial arena.

But I warn you, potential clients. I make very strong coffee.

No comments: