Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What Is The Query's Fate

I've been using WEbook's agent querying service, although the results haven't changed as compared to the old-fashioned, do-it-yourself technique.

To prepare for another round of queries with a re-written letter and a new hook, I looked over the list of who has already rejected the manuscript, and noticed that a few agents have yet to open the submission.

For e-queries, it seems reasonable to wait for a couple of weeks, or maybe a month if the agent has gone totally paper-free. They're not getting to their e-mail any faster than they used to when paper queries were more in vogue.

With that in mind, I'd say it's a good bet that Jesseca Salky at Russell & Volkening isn't interested in getting queries at all. Four months is more than enough time to consider it a rejection without the query even being considered.

Going with the three week cut-off, I wondered if Brandi Bowles was open to queries or just hadn't gotten around to reading the slush pile. It might not be the case at all.

She was working at Howard Morhaim's agency when I submitted the package through WEbook. Since then, she's moved over to Foundry Literary.

I'd like to move the query over to where she is now, but with WEbook, there's no way to do it. Just as well, since I sent the same query to Yfat Reiss Gendell at the same agency. Wouldn't want to query two agents at the same place at the same time and get put in their black book.

Does this mean that the query doesn't count? Can it be a do-over if I wait long enough for Ms. Gendell to not reply? I can't use WEbook, though, since they still have Ms. Bowles with Howard Morhaim, and would have to send the submission through the mail.

Where has the query gone, if the agent has moved? Is it going to hang in there for all time?

I wish I could take it back and pretend it never happened.

No comments: