Tuesday, September 11, 2007

No, This Is Normal

One after another, the tabloids and trendies are trumpeting the news. She's fat, they're saying, she's fat.

She's normal. This woman is of normal size and dimensions, a mature female with curves.

Is it any wonder that there's an epidemic of eating disorders? As long as emaciated is the ideal, and a properly proportioned woman is labelled fat, impressionable young girls will self-starve and the same tabloids and trendies that promote the look will wring their manicured hands and wonder why oh why women are starving themselves to death.

Something is wrong when a woman who looks like she was just rescued from Dachau is applauded for maintaining such rigid control over her food intake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am posting this comment out of the blue, I guess, and while I agree that, yes, this is normal 'fat', I am just using this as an excuse to let you know that I have been peeking into your blog for a bit now, and find it fascinating, but also, well... the lament and litany about agents and publishing are, oh, so me!

I wandered into your blog by chance while googling 'what's the latest' on Marcy Posner. (That's a story for another day... ) And I got drawn in by all the commentary on all sorts of subjects. :)

So, I am here to say hello, and I hope you don't mind if I drop in now and then and read your great blog. I don't have a drop of Irish blood in me, but I've been taken for one by the Irish priest at my parish, so I guess I kind of won my stripes here.

AR

O hAnnrachainn said...

Pursuing the grand dream of publication, in the face of impossible odds, are you? Sure and that's Irish, by osmosis if not by blood.

Don't mind the lamentations. It's all in fun, a bit of a laugh for anyone sucked into the maelstrom of the writing world.

Drop in often. The bar's always open, except Sundays, of course, for Mass.