Sunday, January 14, 2007

Short Shrift

Malaga Baldi sure doesn't waste time getting back to people. I sent her a query exactly ten days ago, and already I've gotten a rejection. Could be that she knows what she wants, can spot it in a matter of seconds, and my query did not have anything that she was looking for. Sent the query letter back, in fact, with a couple of words scribbled in pencil. Not for me, indeed.

Even Barbara Braun managed to wade through my submission in no time. The packet was mailed shortly before the New Year, and already it's a no. Granted, the query letter might not have been stellar, but she asks for the first chapter and apparently my writing was not up to snuff either.

So it goes. Queries sent in August and September go ignored, while another agent can stuff a SASE in a matter of minutes. The killer query is as elusive as ever, the literary agent who says "Send more" impossible to locate.

Pinning all my hopes on a couple of short story submissions -- as much as I pray to hear back, I know that the longer the editors hold the piece, the better my chance of being accepted. Only then will I find out if a publishing credit or two has any effect on the response rate.

No comments: