Saturday, February 12, 2011

Entering A No-Broadband Zone

The tickets are purchased, the passports are in order. I still need to stop the mail and newspaper delivery, but other than that, I'm ready for the trip home.

My only cost, by and large, is the price of the airfare and I'm not one who needs luxuries. Aer Lingus will do me, assuming of course that there's no industrial action being taken by the flight crew when it's time for me to go.

Once I get to Shannon, it will be broadband silence for the duration. That's the cost of staying with relatives who don't see the need for a computer and therefore are not connected to the world wide web.

It's not all bad. Without the distraction of web surfing, I can work on the manuscript I've been revising. Lucky thing I've reached the point where I require the hard copy to see where scenes break and determine if the transitions are evenly spaced and balanced.

There's mobile phone service, at least, so I can tweet if I'm so inclined, but Auntie expects social interaction with her overseas guests and I shall return to another era, when people sat around at night and chatted about current events or the neighbors.

Only ten days without my computer tether. God in Heaven, how will I survive?

No comments: