Thursday, February 11, 2010

Got A Feeling

Something's going to happen.

I have a feeling tickling the back of my brain, next to the place where the stories are stored up for later use. What exactly will happen I can't define, but it has something to do with writing and acceptance.

Utter nonsense, to be sure. I get this sensation from time to time, usually when I'm about ready to chuck the whole business and stop wasting my time at writing.

This feeling vanishes when literary agents mention in the rejection letter that the writing just didn't grab them. It flashes red hot when another agent lets me know that the story isn't right for him, but the writing's strong and the narrator has something. Another rejection, yes, but phrased in such a way that I can't help but feel that something is going to happen.

This morning I woke up with the thought in my head, that I was close to getting a novel published. Was it due to the fact that the pressure switch on the furnace had gone during the night and the house was freezing cold? Or am I tuned in on a psychic level with the small press that's reviewing the manuscript?

More likely it's a figment of an overactive imagination, the result of some residual alcohol fumes lingering well past the previous night's cocktail hour.

Whatever the cause, I have this feeling that something is happening, somewhere out there in the publishing world, and it will be good news for me one day.

And that is why I can't seem to stop writing and submitting and hoping.

No comments: