Saturday, July 18, 2009

The End Of The Line

The rejection came back on the full. The literary agent mentioned her reasons, both very vague and not providing guidance for improving the manuscript.

Taken all together, the rejections I've accumulated on the manuscript don't point to any one particular problem. Each agent had something different to say, which is hardly a road map to edit by.

No problem with the writing itself, the composition of sentences and paragraphs. Some didn't fall in love, some couldn't relate to the protagonist, or maybe it was a case of the narrative moving too quickly. Or too slowly, depending on the agent writing the rejection.

Once the last couple of rejections come in, I will surrender. There'll be nothing more to do than try a publisher in Dublin who accepts manuscripts from authors. If that fails, it's time to publish the novel myself.

Not that I expect to sell many copies, but I'm not getting any younger and what's the point of leaving the manuscript under the bed for my heirs to find? Might as well store the words with Amazon and move on.

At this point, I'd be satisfied if even ten people read the novel and enjoy something that literary agents don't think is publishable.

Or I could go back to school and get an MFA. Now that opens doors these days.

4 comments:

Aeneas said...

Bummer. Period. It does not feel good, I know. Never does, no matter how many have been received.

As for... I didn't fall in love, etc. etc. bit. Everyone I know, including myself, gets that. So, it means nothing, either way. All it means is--it was not the right time and the right place and none of your angels bothere to smile upon you. Something like that.

You are where I was last year. I had enough of it. Self-publishing is becoming more and more the choice of many. I am thinking of doing that with mine--three of them, starting with the one that was a near hit. (Had 2 agents; neither could sell it.)

Except, I'm thinking about doing it myself, in the sense that I would get a printer, that number thingy (IBN, or something), etc. My problem is finding a printer. Any thoughts on that?

O hAnnrachainn said...

I'm considering Amazon's Create Space operation, largely because it's easy, it's available and I'm lazy.

Not to print with the dream of selling tons of copies, but to get the story out there rather than let it gather dust.

Once I look into the costs, I'll probably change my mind and put the manuscript back in the desk drawer, but maybe I'll win the lottery or something.

Aeneas said...

I like the Amazon.com Create Space idea as well. I've also created my own cover, so that would be easy as well. I am not sure, though, of the cost either. It's probably a percentage of the cost of the book. Booksurge, also Amazon.com, is quite pricey.

I'll keep you posted what I'm going to do; once I get past my kitchen remodel this year. Any self publishing attempts will take place next year; unless I have to vuy food instead.

O hAnnrachainn said...

Oh, you like to eat, do you? Such an inconvenience, those hunger pains.