Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Why Keep Going

Laney Katz Becker isn't wild about the concept. There's merit in the project, but it's a rejection and maybe some other agent, etc. etc.

It's not right for Kimberley Cameron at this time.

Farley Chase thought it was an interesting idea for a book, but he wasn't convinced that it was something he could sell.

It's not right for Bill Contardi at this time, not right for Dan Lazar's list. Nicole Aragi is full up and can't even consider another client.

Could there be a worse time to be selling fiction these days? Even though novels that help people escape from their troubles are popular, publishers are pulling back. Sales are down, costs are up, can't take chances, and non-fiction always sells better than fiction.

So why did I roll out of bed before the sun was up, so that I could sit down and work on a new manuscript? Why didn't I go back to sleep, knowing that the manuscript I'm querying now is getting nothing but rejections so what's the point?

It's been a very discouraging week, and it doesn't look to be getting better.

Can't figure out why I keep writing when it's obvious nothing will come of it.

2 comments:

Fran Caldwell said...

Well, I hope you feel much better after that load of snivel and selfpity.

Get on with it!

You write because you must! Or have you forgotten!

I'll be keeping my eye on you for signs of further relapse.

O hAnnrachainn said...

Wouldn't you know it, but I got a request for the manuscript this afternoon.

For feck's sake, just when I'm ready to pack it in, something like that happens and I'm back to writing.

I think the literary agents do it on purpose, reject and reject and then slip in a request, just to drive us mad.