Monday, June 01, 2009

Breaking All Records

On Saturday, I sat down and revised the query that wasn't working. If it had been working, goes the premise, I'd have heard from interested agents in short order. That didn't happen, therefore, the query had to be trashed.

By Sunday afternoon, I had lined up four agents to be queried. Open to queries, looking for my genre, all personalized and ready to go.

Within twenty-four hours, all four queries were rejected.

So is it the query that's so bad?

Or is it the plot? The story? The setting?

Will this second manuscript join the first, in the dust bunny heaven below the bed?

If I keep writing, maybe one day I'll get lucky and hit on the right combination of plot, storytelling, query letter and agent. Maybe I'll get struck by lightening as well. That's more likely to happen than getting a novel published without an MFA to hang my words on.

No comments: