Friday, April 24, 2009

Submissions-Go-Round

Maybe the manuscript is somewhere in this stack. The agent asked for a full, I sent it via snail mail, never heard back, gave a nudge, sent it again via e-mail, never heard back, gave a nudge, and never heard back.


No matter. I've re-written the opening chapter, edited the second, and cut some excess verbiage out of the rest. The manuscript is better, thanks to the advice given by agents who included feedback in their rejections.

The agent who asked for the manuscript when I started submitting the original, less than perfect manuscript has requested it again. New query letter after three years of work, but the story is the same, and it's the story that's she after. A perfect query letter isn't so critical. Literary agent Nathan Bransford explained in a recent blog post that agents aren't ticking off a checklist, but are looking for the concept.

So she finds my concept to be intriguing enough to ask for the full manuscript.

She did so three years ago, but there was never any response. No response means no, for query letters and manuscript submissions.

Yet there's a new assistant at the agency, and maybe, just maybe, she'll be doing the reading and making an effort to provide a response of some kind.

Am I mad to try an agent again after having a submission ignored?

I must be out of my feckin' mind to be climbing out of bed at five a.m. every day to squeeze an extra hour out of the day so that I can write. It stands to reason, then, that I'd submit the revised manuscript and expect a better result, as if an agent could change her stripes.

2 comments:

Aeneas said...

You did change the title, right? mwahahaha.

O hAnnrachainn said...

I did of course. But I kept the character names the same. After three years, who'd remember that kind of detail?