Saturday, February 07, 2009

Searching For New Victims

And it's a "no" from the literary agent. The second rejection, the second time he's asked for pages, the second time he's not falling in love with the opening of the manuscript. Two novels, both shot down.

With material still out there, I'm hesitant to query until I get some possible feedback. Of course, there's the chance that I'll get all form rejections, like today's unwelcome bit of e-mail, but what if an agent mentions something that I hadn't noticed before?

It's hard to resist, especially when the query letter is working and I'd like to jump in before things get too busy and before you know it they're all off on their summer holidays and that's it until Labor Day.

There's no better time to query a literary agent than when they're just getting started in the biz. With that in mind, I'll go ahead and send off a letter to Sara Megibow, recently promoted from assistant to Kristen Nelson to full-fledged junior agent.

If I have any luck, I'll catch her in a moment of intense energy, a period of urgent acquisitions. Then again, she might pass on the query, just like Ms. Nelson did months ago.

No comments: