Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Can You Define Several?

Kneerim & Williams has gone from hard copy only to e-query only. All e-mail all the time, submit the letter and the sample chapter, no pieces of paper ever.

I'm fond of saving a few cents when the opportunity presents itself, so I sent my query to the submissions address, with the letter meant for Deborah Grosvenor. That was almost three months ago.

According to the agency's submission page, someone will respond in several weeks. They do their best to respond quickly, but it may be several weeks, they say.

How many is several?

Have I gone past the cut-off date? Was the query lost? Was it read and ignored? Deleted by mistake?

I could re-submit the query, but is there much point? After so much time, I'd have to guess it's a no and move on. By my calculations, several is more than one but not as many as twelve. Of course, there's Thanksgiving Day intruding in the mix, adding empty days to the cycle. But twelve weeks?

Eight would be several. Twelve is lost in the spam filter. Maybe Brettne Bloom would like to see the newest manuscript in the meantime?

No comments: